Re: Vista Sheds Another Feature, Fails into Own 64-Bit Suppression Trap

Once upon a midnight dreary, while nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx pondered weak
and weary over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore...:

http://www.apcstart.com/site/dwarne/2006/08/1139/microsoft-cuts-another-feature-full-hd-playback-in-32bit-vista

>> And there will be no "unsigned" drivers allowed to run in 64-bit vista.
>> None.  That means no support for /anything/ Microsoft doesn't want you,
>> the customer, to have.  No linux filesystems...  Presumably, there'll be
>> no designing, building and using your own peripherals, either.  Unless
>> I've read this wrongly, of course, but I don't think that I have.
>
> Can you explain what you mean by no linux filesystems?  There's no
> support for linux file systems in Windows right now, is there?  Vista
> can't prevent you from accessing the Vista file systems from a Linux
> partition, can it?  That is, assuming the file systems are the same
> ones Windows uses now (NTFS, FAT etc), not NFS, which is another
> matter.

I installed e2IFS for someone the other day, as it happens: this lends
read/write support for NT to access Linux ext2 partitions. Unfortunately,
this has the side effect of adding a permanent drive letter to the mix of
virtual CD drives, compressed volumes, etc. Oh yeah, and it also doubles up
when you plug in a FAT32 external - then you take potluck on which letter
represents the actual volume. Get the wrong one and the whole thing falls
down and you have to connect-cycle the external and try again.
--
http://dotware.co.uk
You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change