Re: Stats script

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Personally, I take an inferior approach and run this as a cron job that
> leaves disk output (a text file) to be copies and pasted onto a message in
> the newsreader. It takes just seconds to do, which leaves time for editing
> (it's needed in a group like alt.os.linux.suse where there are trolls and
> privacy freaks).

I have a script that runs turqstat and newsstat, calls the script to post
the stats, archives the stats on my web server, emails me a copy, and cleans
up after itself. I run that script from cron, in the middle of the night
when I'm usually sound asleep.

I've never felt compelled to manually edit the stats because of trolls in
alt.machines.cnc, and I've been posting them there for many years while
watching the group slowly deteriorate because of just a couple fuckwits
who would rather cross post than subscribe to groups where the subjects
of most of the cross posting would actually be on topic. <sigh> I've had
numerous requests from amc regulars to do it too. To me, doing so would
be analogous to censorship and that ain't right. YMMV.

--
Black Dragon

America cannot be sold a can of beer without
being offered a piece of pussy along with it.
		-- Julius Lester