Re: Windows never forgets

__/ [ gnohmon ] on Tuesday 22 August 2006 05:33 \__

> Yesterday I accidentally clicked on a funny blue arrow in the toolbar
> of one of several windows explorer windows I had open. A few hours
> later, I finished what I was doing and went back to my normal
> activities.
>
> Things were broken. It took me a while to figure out what had happened.
>
> The blue arrow is "undo". (I have since removed it from my toolbar, of
> course). My accidental click undid the rename of a directory -- but I
> had renamed the directory last week, and the machine had been rebooted
> in between! My rename was remembered for a week! Reboot did not clear
> the memory of it!
>
> Can you imagine anything more dangerous  for Windows to do than that?
> Would it undo something I did a year ago?
>
> I am shocked and awed by how deliberately malicious Windows is.

On a relative scale, that's just nothing. It's a local issue of security, as
well as privacy. Come to consider remote susceptibilities to invasion.
Whenever you boot Windows, your location (with timestamp and some other
identifying details) is being recorded on some servers in Redmond. This has
gone on for a decade. I suspect it's done less frequently now, due to heavy
criticism, but now there is WGA, which goes beyond this and even probes your
hardware.

To make matters worse, IE7 will be forcefed (Windows XP and Vista). IE7 sends
Redmond a lit of all the Web pages you visit. And Microsoft openly permits
government access to this data, shall the US Government require it.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Prevalence does not imply ideali$M
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S