Re: Try doing this with Linux...

  • Subject: Re: Try doing this with Linux...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:02:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 16:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Oxford
> <colalovesosx@xxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:59:39 -0600
> <44ebe0bb$0$3566$815e3792@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> the early demos are starting to appear showing off Spaces, which will
>> appear in the new OSX version "10.5" in the spring, it's years ahead of
>> Linux in this area, enjoy!
>>
>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1254656550190215821
>>
>> (a default total of 16 Spaces can be made, more if you want)
>
> Hmm...and of course Windows Vista will have this, right?
>
> Right?
>
> Hello?
>
> *crickets*
>
> Oh dear.
>
> :-)
>
> For its part Google helpfully sat there on my first attempt at loading
> this video; on the second attempt I got the even more helpful message
> "This video is currently not available.  Please try again later."
>
> The screenshot thumbnails suggest a partitioning strategy.  I don't
> see why XGL couldn't implement this.

For quite some time I have been following the following Novell blog <
http://reverendted.wordpress.com/ >, which sometimes revolves around XGL
development. Judging by what I learn about Compiz/XGL, the integration
between XGL 'split mode' and the pager should be a piece of cake. As Novell
uses many services (modules) maintained by others, the code is very modular.
And the video posted by Oxford can be made an XGL reality after a few days
of programming and testing. That is, if there is a pragmatic value in its
implementation (I see none as the windows become too coarse to recognise).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "The speed of time is one second per second"
Tasks: 131 total,   1 running, 127 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie