Re: Gates Foundation Secretly Buys Media Sources

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 10:26 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers
>
> This is really repulsive.  Three of the newspapers mentioned are
> important ones in Silicon Valley.  Wonder why he's targeting the media
> in Silicon Valley?  I'm sure it's just because it's just a good
> investment.  Or could it be that he wants to make sure that no one says
> anything negative about him?   The San Jose Mercury has some of the
> best tech coverage in the US.  Expect it henceforth to have a Microsoft
> slant.
>
> And the use of the Gates foundation is insidious.  (And I do mean
> insidious, if the reports are correct that Gates's role in the
> purchases was hidden and behind-the-scenes.)  I'm willing to give him
> all the credit in the world for his work with AIDS in Africa and other
> philanthropic work, but to double this up with attempts to limit a free
> press (as free as it is in America, anyway) is just despicable.
>
> It must be said, however, that there has been an ongoing consolidation
> of ownership of the media in the US in recent years, newspapers, TV
> stations and radio.  This has been encouraged by the Bush
> Administration, although it obviously runs counter to the best
> interests of a democratic society.

Yes, I heard about Faux News. Luckily, the BBC is still well-balanced. It
needs a few corrections here and there, but at least it listens to the
public. Commercial- and agenda-driven press is an unnecessary evil.
Advertisements likewise.