Re: [News] Windows Vista Will Wipe Linux Partitions

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
<erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:13:18 -0500
<4a4ki53xltwt.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:39:41 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>| which explains that Vista will continue to wipe your master boot record
>>| on install.
>
> As usual, your headlines are totally fictional.
>
> Overwriting the MBR is not the same thing as wiping a Linux partition.
> Cut this shit out, Roy.

I'm not entirely certain of that, mostly for technical
reasons.  The MBR could easily wipe out the partition table
if it gets too big...the partition table is, after all,
located at offset 0x1BE.  If Windows decides for whatever
reason it wants to get nasty and unconditionally writes
the first sector, bye bye partition table -- and one is
left with a brand new Microsoft Windows-only system with
a single partition.

If one's lucky.

Not that Windows actually does this -- I think Windows
is now smart enough not to wipe out a user's partitions
upon reinstall.

I hope.

It should be possible to let Vista wipe out the MBR and
still boot Linux, as I understand it, though.  The
techniques in

http://jaeger.morpheus.net/linux/ntldr.php

move LILO to the partition boot record, and save a 512-byte
copy of that record to 'bootsect.lnx' -- the first 512 bytes
of the Linux partition.  Similar techniques might work for GRUB.

Of course now one has to wonder whether Microsoft will try
to overwrite the boot.ini file.  But I doubt Microsoft
did anything ultrasophicated in that area, and Microsoft
wouldn't know anything about 'bootsect.lnx'.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.