Re: [News] NVIDIA Argues PlayStati*nix Looks Great

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1746043.Adk3D8xrnL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Playstation 3 demos look great

,----[ Quote ]
| NVIDIA insiders reckon we will all be impressed with Playstation 3's
| graphics capabilities. Someone from the team that saw the demos developed
| in house could not keep their mouth shout.
|
| Sony is super secretive about the demos but we reckon it won't be long
| before we see some of them. We expect to see some at the Games
| convention that starts tomorrow in Leipzig, Germany.

The Playstation 3 is a Linux box with capabilities beyond gaming.

At last year's E3, they played this video to show what Playstation 3 games would look like: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1870618103859210055&q=killzone

The video was pre-rendered on computer, since the PS3 hardware did not exist at the time, but Sony representatives assert that whatever rendering features were used in this computer demo will be available in real time on the PS3. At the time, some people were skeptical about these claims. However, over the weekend, I finally received my the new computer I ordered (AMD 64bit Dual Core 4200+, 2GB RAM, and nVidia GeForce 9200 GT I think), and played Oblivion with all the graphics setting pushed to max, and now the Killzone2 video is starting to look plausible.

Oblivion screenshots (Yes, the game actually renders every blade of grass and every leaf in a tree as a 3D object):
http://www.evilmmo.com/oblivion/pics/scene01.jpg
http://rome.ro/uploaded_images/Oblivion-762892.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/697/697519/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20060321061310956-000.jpg
http://radekhulan.cz/img/1/20060404-oblivion-mods.jpg
http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/elder_scrolls_oblivion/3.jpg

I paid $1100 CAD for a general-purpose computing device which can display the above graphics at 40-80 frames per second (outdoor scenes, with lots of blades of grass are at 40fps, while the relatively simpel indoor scenes run at 80fps). American TVs use NTSC which is 29.97 fps, and European PAL is 25fps, so I wouldn't be surprised if a dedicated gaming device costing $700 USD would be able to render scenes such as those shown in Killzone at 25fps.

- Oliver