Re: Windows-to-Linux Migration Tool Contributed to Open Source Community

  • Subject: Re: Windows-to-Linux Migration Tool Contributed to Open Source Community
  • From: "Oliver Wong" <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:29:15 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1943896.IgzvTgRDrV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 21 August 2006 16:26 \__

Oliver Wong wrote:
> Everything Outlook does, Thunderbird does as well (and much beyond
> that).

Not yet, but hopefully soon.

I beg to differ. As you are not using Thunderbird, I doubt you are qualified
to argue so.

I do use Thunderbird. I use it everyday. I keep it running in the background almost constantly, closing it only when its memory starts to leak into the 128MB+ range (which usually is after I've left it running for 2 weeks or so, with the Japanese translation extensions enabled). I am monitoring its progress. The statement "Everything Outlook does, Thunderbird does as well (and much beyond that)." is false, as you admit in the very next sentence.

With /extensions/, Thunderbird has all the functionality you
find in Outlook (the calendar and Exchange server might be an exception) and
/more/.

I use the calendar system in Outlook extensively. Thunderbird does not have calendars in it, and it never will as part of its core. I'm aware of the extensions which adds some calendar support, but the extension is not tightly integrated with the e-mail system yet. That is why I am looking forward to the Lightning project. (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/index.html) However, the Lightning project is still in very early beta (or is it alpha?)

This is why I make the claim that "Thunderbird does not yet do everything Outlook does, but hopefully one day soon Lightning *will* do everything Outlook does, and will do it better."

- Oliver