Re: Forbes: Windows Vista Leads to Domino Effect

  • Subject: Re: Forbes: Windows Vista Leads to Domino Effect
  • From: "Oliver Wong" <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:08:12 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

<nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1156171641.372381.297410@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oliver Wong wrote:
news:2220711.3X0JsQDlbC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Why is it taking so long to deliver an XP service pack with a new > theme?
> It
> would take over a year just to test...

    It's dishonest for you to call Vista "an XP service pack with a new
theme".

I think "dishonest" is a little too strong...it's a sarcastic play on Microsoft's own terminology, maybe not justified by the objective measures of improvements made in a SP versus the jump to Vista...but Roy is not the only person using this type of sarcasm, and Microsoft invites it with its Orwellian terminology such as Windows Genuine Advantage=Privacy Invasion for Piracy Check, Trusted Computing=We Don't Trust You, etc.

I generally disapprove of the use of sarcasm or exageration because by actually voicing it, you convince yourself of these sarcastic or exagerated remarks internally. For example, (and yes, this is from personal experience), if your significant other says "You never buy me flowers" frequently enough, (s)he'll actually experience the emotional resentment/disapointment/whatever of never having received flowers, even if factually speaking, there was a point in time during which you purchased flowers for him/her.

As can be seen by the replies in this thread, many people here truly believe that Vista brings nothing more than a skin. In other words, they are completely uninformed about the thing which they are criticizing. Wasn't there a thread here just a few days ago that said you shouldn't be allowed to criticize Linux if you don't know what you're talking about? I disagreed with that stance, but shouldn't those who advocate that stance thus avoid criticizing Vista if they don't actually know anything about it, less they be accused of hypocrasy?

Anyway, I choose the word "dishonest" because if you were to tell someone who didn't know anything about Vista that it was basically "an XP service pack with a new theme" (and assuming this person knew what XP is like and what service packs are), you would be strongly misleading them. They would have certain expectations (for example, that it'd be free, that it would mostly compose of security fixes, and very few non-security features added, no additional hardware requirements, would be made available via Windows Update, etc.).

- Oliver