Re: COLA Stats 20 Aug 2006

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ Snit ] on Monday 21 August 2006 15:40 \__
>
>> "Mark Kent" <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> stated in post
>> k5lor3-oq2.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 8/21/06 5:22 AM:
>>
>>> Ah, fascinating stuff.  I was hoping we'd seen the back of Snit, but
>>> clearly the call of linux is too much for him...
>>
>> The school I do the most tech work for now is a Mac / Windows / Linux
>> school... in that order, but I do run all three, depending on the needs of
>> the school.  Who knows, over time I may give Linux a bigger role... if it
>> does well in my test-bed.
>>
>> Why would this be anything other than good news for Linux advocates?
>
> Schools must stop to teach corporate-bound tools/languages/software. Just as
> you teach people to drive a car, which is a generic skill that is associated
> with no hidden agendas, bias, and lockins.

Jesus. The analogies are getting worse. Linux SW is not a "generic
skill" - the GUI use is. But to suggest that the rest of the SW is
"generic" is plain wrong. There are alternatives for most, not all, of
the Windows stuff - some of it is even fairly stable and given a few
more years might improve to the level of their XP cousins.