[News] Converting an Historical Mess Into a 'Standard' (Because You Must)

How to Write a Standard (If you Must)

,----[ Quote ]
| If possible choose an implementation that has layers of complexity
| from years of undisciplined agglomeration of features. Of course
| this will lead to a specification of Byzantine complexity and
| epic length. But since no one will actually read the
| specification, there is no harm. In fact the length and
| complexity can bring several benefits:  1. Any criticism of the
| specification can automatically be dismissed as nitpicking. For
| example, if you are presented with a list of 500 faults in a
| 6,000 pages specification, you can respond, "That is less than
| 10%. You are just nitpicking. We can fix that in release 1.1".
| ... 2. Further, since review periods at ISO and most other
| standards bodies are of fixed length, regardless of the length
| of the specification, a sufficiently large specification will
| ensure that it receives no, or only cursory review.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2006/12/how-to-write-standard-if-you-must.html

Again, the document submitted to the EU (Samba) will present the same issues.
There ought to be a standard for that too... one which may not be
backward-compatible in the short-term (e.g. Windows 2000).