Re: [News] LinuxBIOS Ready to Go

Mark Kent wrote:

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> LinuxBIOS ready to go mainstream
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| LinuxBIOS is intended to provide a philosophically free replacement
>>| for proprietary firmware in chipsets.
>> `----
>>
>> http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/30/199208&from=rss
>>
>> The vision of an entirely open PC is not far away.
>
> It needs to be quick, before things like the PS3, OLPC and so on kill
> the PC architecture completely!

Many think that we have held on to the basic PC architecture well past it's
sell by date. It served us well but really a major design change could make
our systems much more powerfull without the next step of widening busses or
running at white hot motherboard speeds. Even dual CPU couldn't break far
enough away from the basic PC design to take full advantage of the a two
CPU system.

The idea is really to take the master role off the central CPU, modularizing
roles, with each part knowing it's job fully and able to communicate
directly with any other part.

The idea is based on nodes, each node can work independantly but is able to
communicate with every other node when it has a need.

Actually I have based that on a thing Sony were talking about many years ago
at the same time they were first talking about the optic CPUs, because
these made nodal computers much more possible. I wonder how far they got
with the idea.