Re: [News] PlayStation 3 Linux Support Augmented by Sony

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 07 December 2006 14:46 \__

http://git.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=f58a9d171a346afb1b09190427e6c28c6118703e

>> I think that Microsoft made a mistake by competing with Sony. Linux has
>> just earned a new super-wealthy friend. They use Linux in other products
>> too, e.g. the Mylo.
>
> Hence the terror we see around here, I suppose :-).  It would appear
> that Sony have fully understood the potential value of linux to
> themselves, and are acting accordingly.  The only companies which should
> be afraid of such progress are those whose models are based on vendor
> locks, as open-source us busy undoing all the locks.
> Tivoisation/Novellisation is trying to fight back, but I cannot see
> either approach being successful, and I think we need to see the GPL3
> adopted in a form all stakeholders are happy with in order to prevent
> those two threats.

Yes, even Sun (yes, SUN!) has decided to embrace GPLv3. They evolve. They
seek to improve. To be honest with you, seeing Microsoft's interest in the
OLPC project after they aggressively ridiculed it makes me wonder if
Microsoft will embrace true Open Source within a few years. Never say never.
Think GPL Java, Microsoft-Novell, Red Hat-Oracle....

If that ever became a reality, Microsoft would have _a lot_ of catching up to
do. More catching up than required at the moment after this abysmal product
called Vista was released. IIRC, even Gates was appalled to discover what a
resource hog it had become. And it's not even secure, which means more SPAM.
It turns out that I'm not the only one who says he retired to escape
shameful predctions... and things only get worse. SPAM is actually bringing
down my sites now because the amounts are breaktaking. A friend of mine said
she got over a million a month. The ISP is hopeless.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery
Tasks: 138 total,   2 running, 134 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie