Re: [News] Report: DRM, IP Can Hinder and Stifle Innovation

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Copyright pirates face crackdown
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| ...the report recognised the ease of copying material can be useful
>| to the economy and backed a strictly limited private copying
>| exception.
>|
>| This would mean "format swapping" like putting music from a CD
>| onto an MP3 player - theoretically illegal under present laws -
>| would be allowed.
>|
>| Mr Gowers says: "The ideal IP system creates incentives for
>| innovation, without unduly limiting access for consumers and
>| follow-on innovators."
> `----
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6214108.stm

That's really stupid.  If you've bought a CD copy of something, and you
want to make a backup of it, then you should be able to do so.  Format
conversion is by no means the only reasonable thing which people want to
do with content which has been paid for.

> Related:
>
> Publish And Perish
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Alexander Rose, the executive director of the futurist Long Now
>| Foundation, worries about the impermanence of digital information.
>| "If you save that computer for 100 years, will the electrical plugs
>| look the same?" he asks. "The Mac or the PC--will they be around?
>| If they are, what about the software? " So far there's no business
>| case for digital preservation--in fact, for software makers like
>| Microsoft, planned obsolescence is the plan.
>|
>| "The reality is that it's in companies' interest that software should
>| become obsolete and that you should have to buy every upgrade,"
>| Rose says. We could be on the cusp of a turning point, though, in the
>| way businesses and their customers think about digital preservation.
>| "Things will start to change when people start losing all of their personal
>| photos," Rose said.
> `----
>
> http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/books-information-preservation-tech-media_cx_ee_books06_1201acid.html?partner=yahootix
> http://tinyurl.com/yyjqoh

I've always considered statesmen to be more expendable than soldiers.