Re: Microsoft: 1M Zunes to be sold by June [Was: [News] After the High Investment and Hype, Zune Sinks]

__/ [ Philip ] on Wednesday 06 December 2006 19:23 \__

http://www.podcastingnews.com/2006/12/04/microsofts-zunetanic-sinking-fast/

>> Related (today):
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061206/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_zune_2
>

> `[MS] expects to sell 1 million of its new Zune music players through
> the first half of 2007. That figure would pale in comparison to Apple's
> market-leading iPod, but..."We think that's actually pretty awesome,"
> said Bryan Lee, corporate vice president for Microsoft's entertainment
> group."'
>
> spin, spin, spin.

They also said they would sell 10 million XBox 360's by Xmas. That was quite
a while ago (several months). They had sold 6 million at the time. With 2
weeks remaining, they are still 2 million short. *LOL* And that's despite
the marketing onslaught (people in the UK complain**) that's costing them a
limb or two.

Their predictions damage their reputation (no honesty, just sales pitch).
Maybe they should hire firms like IDC and the Yankee Group more frequently
to announce their false predictions, inasmuch the same way that they use SCO
and Novell to attack Linux by proxy. Prepare for patent trolls receiving
money from Microsoft (under the table of course) as they issue threats
against Open Source projects. Blackboard, for example, has connections with
Microsoft and it's 'junk' patent grabbed a lot of media attention.

** Refs follow:

Microsoft to make the most of a PS3-less Christmas

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyway, back to Microsoft's Christmas advertising blitz, the firm is
| quick to admit it?s an unusually high spend. "It's probably well in
| excess of double what we've typically spent on a Christmas," said
| Xbox marketing boss Stephen McGill to trade magazine MCV. "With Sony
| not being here and Nintendo coming in with limited stock the
| opportunity for us is pretty significant. Most of the £14 million
| will be spent on getting consistent TV airtime."
|
| So today's takeover of The Metro is clearly just the beginning.
| Expect to see Xbox 360 start dominating the TV ad space any day now.
`----

http://www.360-gamer.com/news.asp?id=125

November 17 - The Metro

,----[ Quote ]
| The metro. Distributed free on trains and busses throughout England. As
| my daily source of offline information, I picked up my copy, as per usual
| and sat down to read it...
|
| [snip]
|
| (Claimed 35 XBox 360 adverts in a 50-page paper)
`----

http://globa-tech.blogspot.com/2006/11/november-17-metro.html

There's one I could not find which shows how GameSpot was virtually defaced
by XBox 360 ads.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Gas, brake, honk! Honk, honk, punch! Gas, gas!