[News] More Reasons Why Novell's OpenOffice Patches Should be Rejected

Miguel de Icaza plays fast and loose with the facts and history

,----[ Quote ]
| Who created OpenOffice? Who bought it? Who opened it? Anyone ever hear of
| Star Division gmbh or Sun? Since when did Novell become the earliest
| contributor to OpenOffice.org? The earliest and largest external corporate
| contributor, maybe. I'd like to see some hard facts to back up an assertion
| like that (not that facts matter, as Miguel admitted), but his hyperbolic
| boasting of Novell's contribution is obviously overblown. And is a
| contribution that doesn't make it into the main code base really a
| contribution? After all, in the same blog entry, Miguel himself makes much
| of the fact that Novell's OpenOffice.org really isn't THE OpenOffice.org.
| It's Novell's unique version, patched and modified.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000141

He then moves on to the IP part (macros and stuff), concluding that there's
legal and moral issue. Not to mention support of Microsoft's so-called
'Open' 'formats'...