Re: [News] Windows Insecurities Get School Computers Confiscated

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 06 December 2006 20:15 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> They are confiscating my computers
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://opensource.christophercraft.com/?p=73
>>>
>>> I have been following this blog for a while. He had Linux (Edubuntu)
>>> installed on all the computers, but was forced to change to Windows
>>> because of stupid school/regional policies. Now they wish to dump these
>>> PC's... just because Windows is so easy to compromise.
>>
>> Budget to burn, some places.
>
> Speaking of Open Source in schools, I have just met Iain down at the pub and
> they got over 60 MP's to sign in consent/favour of Open Source in education.
> I asked him to add you to the mailing list and I'll reminder him again if
> necessary. A true difference is truly being made, even though Microsoft is
> having lunch with BECTA and politicians, so there's lobbying to fight. And
> it's them who have the fat budgets to influence politics... Arghhh...

Ah, timing... I've just returned from dinner in the pub with the
school's head, and we were discussing whether direct funding might be an
interesting option to get away from some of the council politics around
these issues.  We're /very/ happy with the linux we've used so far.

Your fly might be open (but don't check it just now).