[News] Microsoft to Buy $36 Billion-worth of Its Stock for Artificial Boost

A Dozen Stocks For '07

,----[ Quote ]
| Millen also thinks $36 billion in planned share buybacks
| will help the stock.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/05/stocks-markets-investing-pf-ii-cz_ag_1205stockpicks.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/yjzfbo

Related:

Microsoft's past stock options practice poses questions

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft in 1999 announced that it would end a policy of awarding
| options at monthly lows and said it would take a $217 million charge,
| though many details of that discontinued practice haven't been widely
| known, The Wall Street Journal said Friday.
|
| Those details raise questions about how Microsoft began the practice,
| what prompted the company to end it and whether the way the options
| were dated--at 30-day lows the month after they were
| granted--influenced other companies, it said.
`----

                http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6084617.html

Microsoft counts on Vista to recharge stagnant stock

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a time in the 1990s when shares of Microsoft stock seemed to
| double every couple of years. 1996: college for the kids. 1998: a place
| on Whidbey. 1999: early retirement.
|
| Times have changed.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003437957_vista19.html

Commentary: Microsoft needs more than just buybacks to lift its shares

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft shares, which have been dormant for the last few years,
| have been looking up over the last couple months. The Dow industrials
| component has gained about 20% since hitting a 4-year low of $21.46 o
| June 13.
|
| To help move things along, Microsoft not only launched a $40 billion
| stock repurchase program that lasts through 2011, the company also said
| its previously announced 4-year, $30 billion stock buyback program was
| completed in just 2 years.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B685EFB89%2D5791%2D4E8B%2DAD6A%2D9688F5B6012A%7D&source=blq%2Fyhoo&dist=yhoo&siteid=yhoo

Just before the buybacks:

Ego-crazed Scoble burns MS bridges

,----[ Quote ]
| The post here entitled "Why Wall Street didn't believe Steve Ballmer
| (and what he can do about it)" hit new heights of self-aggrandising
| and must have made grisly reading for Microsoft's PR.
`----

                        http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32466

I could not find another recent reference. An article spoke about something
strange that was going on amid the buybacks and showed how the stock has
been artificially inflated. It also appears as though Microsoft gets (buys)
recommendations from prominent financial Web sites.