Re: SCO's Staff Jumping Ship While Web Site Gets Neglected

  • Subject: Re: SCO's Staff Jumping Ship While Web Site Gets Neglected
  • From: "Ramon F Herrera" <ramon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 6 Dec 2006 04:03:49 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
yttrx wrote:
> > Concerns mount over missing SCO web admin
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | It's day five of the SCO High Availability Clusters link fiasco, and
> > | there are no signs of life from the Unix vendor. SCO's homepage link
> > | to the HA Clusters software remains down, despite our plea for the
> > | company simply to add "ing" to the URL to fix the situation.
> > |
> > | It seems clear that demand for SCO's clustering software is running
> > | pretty low, since the company has failed to notice its broken link. It
> > | also seems clear that SCO's web staff has taken on skeleton crew
> > | status.
> > `----
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/05/sco_web_down/
> >

> > Related (from yesterday):
> >
> > SCO's clusters crippled by missing 'ING'
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | The poor SCO Group can't get much right these days, including
> > | keeping its high availability clusters highly available.
> > `----
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/04/sco_no_ha/
> >

> > Novell move could kill SCO's Linux lawsuits
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | SCO shares closed Monday at $1.11, down 11 cents and 9 percent
> > | from last Friday's trading. The company's stock has been in
> > | freefall since Kimball's ruling, dropping from $2.40 per share.
> > | SCO stock had traded above $4.50 before Wells' earlier decision
> > | in June.
> > `----
> >
> > http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4780028
>

> Apart from SCOs horrific business practices and frivolous lawsuits,
> SCO Unixware is the absolute shittiest UNIX or Unix-like operating
> system to have EVER existed.
>
> You know, you couldn't even change the IP address of a running
> SCO machine without rebooting it until this last OS version?  "State
> of the Art" my fucking ass.

I can attest to that. More PITAs: The whole filesystem seen by
sysadmins is filled with thousands of softlinks to some weird
directories. The first time I saw this, I was convinced that I was in
the middle of a failed install. It is very hard to make partitions at
install time and the default is a single partition under /.  Yes, you
still need to reboot after doing the simplest things such as changing
hostname, IP address, etc.

The only reason I was forced to use SCO is because I worked with a
telco that had to use Dialogic voice boards (which is pretty much a
monopoly) and SCO was the only Unix supported at the time. To make
things worse Microsoft acquired 15% of Dialogic and companies were
being paid by Microsoft (the owner of one of those companies told me
this, I am willing to testify) to sabotage the SCO version. There was a
happy ending, though: Intel acquired 100% of the Dialogic stock -plus
some percentage of RedHat- and from then on the Dialogic Tech Summits
are filled with penguins all over the place (btw: thanks Intel!!). Now
development is done in Linux and ported to Windows later, the opposite
of what used to be.

-Ramon