[News] Five Reason Office 2007 is Not Worth It

Five reasons not to upgrade to Office 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Reason 1: You already know how to use your favourite Office applications.
|
| Reason 2: You like a consistent interface in all of your apps.
|
| Reason 3: You frequently exchange files with users outside your
| organisation.
|
| Reason 4: You use macros and other customisation features extensively.
|
| Reason 5: It's still essentially a version 0 application.

Beware of Geeks Bearing Gifts

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's take a closer look at the what is being offered as part of
| this "royalty free" deal from Microsoft....Not very open source
| friendly, is this? You can marry into the family and get
| protection from the Godfather, but you can't transfer this to
| anyone. They need to make their own accommodation with
| Microsoft. This makes me wonder about the Microsoft-funded
| ODF Add-in for Word that Clever Age and others are working
| on. This add-in does UI-level manipulations of the Office 2007
| ribbon. Are they covered under Microsoft's license program? Are
| their user's covered? What about anyone who takes the source code
| and modifies it and redistributes it?...This is very reminiscent
| of the original license on the Microsoft binary file formats,
| back in the days when the specifications were published on MSDN
| CD's...Interestingly in that case, once they achieved their goal
| of total market domination, Microsoft removed the file format
| documentation from MSDN and it was only available under a special
| license. They started open, in order to gain market domination,
| but once their goals were achieved, the openness ended. What
| prevents this from happening again?
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2006/11/beware-of-geeks-bearing-gifts.h

Korean court rebuffs Microsoft in patents case

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has taken another slap from the authorities in Korea, after
| a court decision in a patent dispure raised the prospect of Officeb
| eing taken off the shelves in the country.
|
| Microsoft said it was continuing to dispute the patent's validity.
`----                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/27/ms_korea_court/

The Single Worst Thing About Office 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| I've said here that I'm a fan of Microsoft Office 2007. After using it
| even more, for most of my daily work, I still am. But one major
| downside merits mention: It's kind of an unfinished product.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/003172.html

Office 2007 may be Microsoft's Titanic: former Government IT boss

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates has been talking up Office 2007 ahead of its business launch
| on November 30. However, the recently departed deputy CIO of one of
| Australia's biggest government Microsoft sites believes introducing
| the new version of Microsoft Office may be the company's biggest
| ever disaster.

Microsoft ignores malware evolution threat to Office

,----[ Quote ]