[News] EU Regulator Says Platform Decisions Must Be Made by Customers, Not Managers

EU regulator: Let consumers pick telecom standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Union's telecommunications watchdog has called for
| regulators to take a backseat in setting standards--and allow
| consumers to take the lead by picking the platform that offers
| the services they want.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6140471.html

Only yesterday:

This week's ITU Conference in Hong-Kong and the new focus on the
international dimension of Europe's Information Society: Frequently Asked
Questions

,----[ Quote ]
| "Several major breakthroughs in communication standards have been
| generated in Europe in the last 10-15 years, including the Web,
| mpeg2 and mp3 encoding, and the Linux operating system with
| its influence on the open source software movement."
`----

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/06/461&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

DRM blanket goes mobile

,----[ Quote ]d
| Provider of digital rights management kit, Secure Digital Container,
| has today announced plans to bring next-gen DRM gear to over hundred
| different mobile devices.

BT Vision is go

,----[ Quote ]
| "We think most people are well behind us," said BT retail CEO
| Ian Livingstone. It was even able to wheel out ever erudite
| Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to eulogise the importance of an
| event "that fundamentally changes how consumers are entertained".
| BT chose Microsoft to provide the software powering Vision.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/04/bt_vision_launch/

The problem is that managers can be wined and dined in order to support
greedy vendors, at the expense of the customer (or in the case of Novell, at
the expense of voluneteering developers), e.g.:

Beeb breaks out with Windows WMA protection

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a press release from Sonos, the blokes over
| at the Beeb have decided to jump ship for relying on
| Realplayer for web content, and have switched over
| entirely to the Windows-friendly WMA format. Now
| that the BBC has made The Big Switch, BBC radio
| stations will be received automatically for users
| of wireless music and radio provider Sonos.

BBC Looks To Microsoft For Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| However, you don't sign deals or commitments if you're a quasi-autonomous
| Public Corporation operating as a public service broadcaster, as the BBC
| is. BBC Director General Mark Thompson met Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates
| in Seattle on Wednesday to sign the non-exclusive memorandum of
| understanding and discuss the BBC's digital strategy.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/09/28/bbc-microsoft-internet-cx_cn_0928bbc.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/j5pn7

The technical folks at the BBC, as opposed to senior managers, actually
praised Open Source and Linux.