[News] Linux-friendly Chipmaker Expects 90% Revenue Rise

AMD busts into chip-making top ten

,----[ Quote ]
| The analysts say AMD's chip revenue is expected to explode by a
| "stunning" 90 per cent in 2006, pushing the company eight places
| up the chart to number seven.

Apologies to those of you who yesterday criticised AMD, but this is great
progress nonetheless and a truly daunting punishment for Microsoft's
'chipmaking department' [1].

Related:

AMD aims to reclaim CPU crown with 2007 quad-core

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the puzzle is coming together and suggests that AMD may have a
| shot at trumping Intel by mid-2007, at least until the blue team
| rolls out 45 nm chips.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/12/01/amd_aims_to_reclaim_cpu_crown/

AMD to Design Microprocessors with Linux and HP Blades

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD's engineering design environment is based on an open architecture
| run and managed with Linux and open source tools. The HP BladeSystem
| solution running Red Hat Enterprise Linux was proposed and implemented in
| AMD's Sunnyvale...
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Hardware/AMD_to_Design_Microprocessors_with_Linux_and_HP_Blades

AMD gains, Intel fights back on supercomputer list

,----[ Quote ]
| Advanced Micro Devices has gained ground on Intel in a list of the
| world's 500 fastest supercomputers, but Intel's new Xeon 5100"
| Woodcrest" processor has quickly carved out a place for itself.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6135018.html

AMD reveals its future plans

,----[ Quote ]
| INQ "That brings the question of drivers. AMD has been a staunch supporter
| of Linux, while many users of ATI had a hay-ride with drivers for Linux
| operating system. Nvidia, as the prime competitor has support of Linux
| community, while every once a while we hear news about petitions to
| ATI, drivers not working as intended."
|
| Phil "AMD is driving the industry to an open world, and we focus our
| strengths and with combined approach, achieve what's best for
| development of the industry around us. All ISVs are important for us."

[1] Intel: Only "Open" for Business

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060930232710&mode=expanded