Re: [News] Reviewer Calls Ubuntu Linux "an Ideal Windows Replacement"

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 05 December 2006 00:18 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
> <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:46:12 +0000
> <k2le44-o0h.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Ubuntu Linux Is an Ideal Windows Replacement
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/54507.html
>>
>> We need another classification - something beyond a disruptive
>> technology, something which is so compelling, it's able to overcome a
>> corrupt, monopolistic system with the backing of billions of dollars.
>> Disrputive just doesn't seem to be the word here...
>>

> I'm not sure Ubuntu is disruptive *enough*.  Admittedly,
> if Ubuntu can land a few good deals with OEMs/resellers,
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

See Mark's Remark: "able to overcome a corrupt, monopolistic system with the
backing of billions of dollars". See notes below as well.

> it might start the ball rolling.  From what little I've
> fiddled with it (and it's *very* little), Ubuntu's a very
> nice distro -- if one doesn't mind a tasteful brown desktop.
> But that's changeable, with a little work.

Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
| federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
| computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
| manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
|
| [...]
|
| She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
| to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
| other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
| chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
|
| "It isn't illegal to be successful," Conlin said in opening
| remarks. "We applaud that. ... But you can't freeze out competitors
| and punish and retaliate against people who cooperate with
| competitors. Microsoft did all that and more."
|
| Conlin warned jurors that she would say some unflattering things
| about Microsoft and its billionaire founder Bill Gates, who
| serves as company chairman.
|
| [...]
|
| Conlin's first 3 1/2 hours of opening arguments delved deeply into
| computer industry history and how Microsoft fought off competitors
| attempting to design rival software.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1

Is there wasn't a "chokehold", maybe then you wouldn't need to cope with
brown.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymous posters are more frequently disregarded
Mem:    514480k total,   482584k used,    31896k free,     6688k buffers