[News] NBC Finally Departs from Microsoft's Turf

CNBC relaunches own site with more video

,----[ Quote ]
| Hoffman said CNBC's licensing agreement with Microsoft's MSN Money
| expired at the end of the second quarter this year and the two
| decided to go their separate ways.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061204/ap_on_hi_te/cnbc_web_site

This was announced over a year ago, but only now it's becoming a reality.
Maybe the site will actually become accessible to non-Windows platforms. The
takeover by Microsoft killed Real Player options (I could no longer watch
Jay Leno), among other things. Microsoft has other victims though...

BBC Looks To Microsoft For Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| However, you don't sign deals or commitments if you're a quasi-autonomous
| Public Corporation operating as a public service broadcaster, as the BBC
| is. BBC Director General Mark Thompson met Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates
| in Seattle on Wednesday to sign the non-exclusive memorandum of
| understanding and discuss the BBC's digital strategy.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/09/28/bbc-microsoft-internet-cx_cn_0928bbc.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/j5pn7

Beeb breaks out with Windows WMA protection

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a press release from Sonos, the blokes over
| at the Beeb have decided to jump ship for relying on
| Realplayer for web content, and have switched over
| entirely to the Windows-friendly WMA format. Now
| that the BBC has made The Big Switch, BBC radio
| stations will be received automatically for users
| of wireless music and radio provider Sonos.

That's despite the BBC's (technical staff) praising of Open Source technology
and GNU/Linux.

I suspect that Microsoft has also bought Motley Fool. It clearly put a lot of
FUD in C|Net as well, often disguised as articles.

Related:

Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers

$350 million to MediaNews

,----[ Quote ]