Re: Microsoft Still Trying to Directly Sabotage Linux Migrations

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Lately there has been a HUGE push by Certified Microsoft
> | Professionals and their companies to call clients and warn
> | them of the dangers of open source. This week I received calls
> | from 4 different customers that they were warned that they are
> | dangerously insecure because they run Open Source Operating
> | systems or Software because 'anyone can read the code and hack
> | you with ease' they are being told. Other colleagues in the area
> | also have noticed this about 3 Microsoft Partners or so they claim
> | have been going out of their way to strike fear of OSS in
> | companies that respond with 'yes we use Open source or Linux'
> | when the sales call comes in.
> `----
>
> http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/01/0413212&from=rss

That is probably the funniest and most bogus claim against Linux.

Transparent (open source) code => more frequent and specific bug
reports
=> more frequent patching and updating => more secure code

Proprietary (closed-source) code => improper operation
=> infrequent and non-specific bug reports => less effective patching
=> easier explotation