Re: [News] Hell Has Frozen Over

  • Subject: Re: [News] Hell Has Frozen Over
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 08:35:43 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> Ice back home doesn't slow Microsoft Vista launch in N.Y.
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| A freak ice storm hit Seattle, leaving Microsoft's campus largely empty
> `----
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=windows&articleId=9005519&taxonomyId=125
>

> Also see:
>
> Vista Bloats Up
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Vista's magnitude is one reason for skepticism. It's Microsoft's
>| largest, most complex operating system ever, and upgrading from the

This is a whole new definition of the word "upgrade".  Perhaps we could
look to the etymology for a reason?  Let's say that grade is from
gradient, a rising or falling slope, hillside or mountainside.  Up is,
of course, a prefix indicating direction.  So Upgrade brings is to
climbing up a slope or hill, climbing a mountain;  up the gradient.
Vista means, amongst other things, view, as in scenic view - what you
can see.  Bella vista.  So Vista Upgrade looks a lot like:

    "See how high up the mountain you're going to have to climb"

    "Look at this very steep slope upwards"

    "Watch those poor b*ggers crawling up the hill as they install"

>| current version, Windows XP, is a big step. m

Big step?  Huge climb, I think!

> Corporate information
>| technology departments have to figure out whether it's worth the
>| return on investment to test, purchase, install and support the new
>| version. And many will have to update their computer hardware just
>| to meet Vista's recommended setup.
> `----
>
> http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/29/software-computers-memory-tech_cx_df_ck_1130vista.html?partner=yahootix

People humiliating a salami!