Re: [News] School District Replaces Macs with Open Source Software

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:06:50 +0000
<2109314.UTY6JizDcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 20 December 2006 07:52 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> School District Dropping Macs for More "Appropriate Technology"
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/12/18.4.shtml
>>
>> Using Windows will /prevent/ students from doing things... fascinating.
>> Of course, it'll permit all manner of other people to use the machines,
>> but the requirement is that they come in over the network.
>
> I've heard of hospitals becoming a botnets, but not schools. In any event,
> the decision-maker seems clueless. For the majority of people who use Macs
> or /wish/ to explore alternatives *gasp* there would at least be Mac
> options. Isn't learning about choice and exploration? I guess they would
> rather lock it all down. More like boot camp. Before you know it they'll
> remove all the drinks (except for Coca Cola) from the vendign machines,
> including water. Then they'll disable all the faucets.

Coca Cola will also be removed; the only drinks allowed
will be fruit joice, in some locales.  (It's an issue
outside of COLA [!], but basically they're "empty
calories", with fizz but no protein.  Sucrose has been
compared to a drug, and certainly it has in a milder form
than, say, rock cocaine, the ability to accelerate one's
thinking -- or have kids "bounce off the walls".)

As for the faucets, they may have to disable them because
the pipes are a mess. :-)  Welcome to USA, where the
jails are overflowing and the schools are breaking down.
But never mind that, where did you want to go today?

I'll admit to wondering whether Windows should be in
the schools or not.  Using Windows does make one more
employable, but I do wonder if the idea of employment
should be able to know where to point and click on Word,
or whether one should actually be able to write a coherent
sentence and figure out how to solve formulas such as
x^2 - 7x + 4 = 0.

Grammar checkers can only do so much.  (Even freeware ones. :-) )

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."