Re: [News] School District Replaces Macs with Open Source Software

On 2006-12-20, Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> flatfish+++ <flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:06:50 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 20 December 2006 07:52 \__

[deletia]
> Now, ok if I run it (had I been so silly) in my user priviliges, but for
> most people that is bad enough. A program configured to be recognised as
> an exe could possibly run itself under wine and delete/corrupt your user
> data. I have to "sudo" so often these days, whether it is to compile &
> install from source or from synaptic that it wouldnt surprise me to see
> user caught out unawares with malicious bash scripts too. Its just a
> question of time. I fail to see, other than the root safety, how Linux
> protects one against user incompetence any more than Windows.

	The culture of stupidity that Microsoft perpetrates is not
entrenched in Linux. It's not entrenched anywhere else but Windows
either. The Windows mentality means you GO OUT OF YOUR WAY to make
yourself vulnerable. Just avoiding that gets you a lot.

	The ability to further lock things down helps even more.

	No script will run on a webpage in firefox unless I let it.

	There has always been this perverse condition with MS Windows
that you were/are always safer running that OS if you did your best to
avoid the OS vendor's own apps.

	Even sticking with WinDOS and removing all the MS apps would
go quite a long ways in solving a lot of the BS that people get
subjected to. If WinDOS still held it's original promise, this would
infact be not a problem. There would be none of these "one true
interace" shenanigans to get in the way of people computing precisely
the way that they want to.

--
     If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of           |||
hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either.  / | \