Re: [News] 25 Reasons to Moves to Linux (CRN Article with Annotation)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
25 Shortcomings of Microsoft Vista OS - A good reason to choose GNU/Linux

| # Your machine better have a truck load of Memory - somewhere around 2 GB. | (Linux works flawlessly with just 128 MB... even less).

LOL, that old chestnut. Vista is a *new* operating system and naturally takes advantage of advances in HW. If you have an old machine stick with XP which is usable with 128MB ram. Ever tried running KDE or Gnome with all the bells and whistles with 128MB ram....sloooow. The latest software requires modern HW, hardly news.

| [...]
| | # No must have reasons to buy Vista. (The fact that Linux is Free is reason | enough to opt for it)
| | [...]
| | # Installation can take hours, upgrades even more. (Barring upgrades, | installation of Linux will take atmost 45 minutes. Upgrades will take a | little longer).
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/12/25-shortcomings-of-microsoft-vista-os.html

All in all, it makes a very compelling case.

It would to you Roy because you are a zealot and fanatic. Clearly such arguments hold little weight with the rest of the world which is why Vista will have a larger desktop install base than Linux a few weeks after launch. Let's look at the whole ridiculous list...

# Vista introduces a new variant of the SMB protocol - (I wonder what is the future of Samba now...)

Why should MS care about Samba?

# Need significant hardware upgrades

It's a new OS desaigned for new HW. Nobody is being forced to upgrade, and if myou have an old machine better to stay with XP until you buy a new machine.

# No anti-virus bundled with Vista

But if it was you'd be crying that MS is abusing their monopoly power.

# Many third party applications still not supported

Such as?

# Your machine better have a truck load of Memory - somewhere around 2 GB. (Linux works flawlessly with just 128 MB... even less).

Already debunked

# Too many Vista editions.

How many  thousand Linux distros are there.

# Need product activation. (Now that is something you will never see in Linux).

Because nobody is going to pirate that which is freely available.

# Vista OS will take over 10 GB of hard disk space. (With Linux you have a lot of flexibility with respect to the size of the distribution.).

Not sure about 10GB, but even if it is true, huge HDD's are dirt cheap now. Vista is a new OS for newer PC's

# Backing up the desktop will take up a lot of space. (Not so in Linux)

Huh, you have the option to simply backup your personal data in Vista if you want.

# No must have reasons to buy Vista. (The fact that Linux is Free is reason enough to opt for it)

Umm riiighht

# Is significantly different from Windows XP and so there is a learning curve. (Switching to Linux also involves some learning curve but then it is worth it as it doesn't cost you much and in the long run, you have a lot to gain).

This is simply an opinion, and one not supported by the evidence.
# You'd better come to terms with the cost of Vista - it is really exorbitant running to over $300. (In price, Vista can't beat Linux which is free as in beer and Freedom).

Again, it's commercial software. Also very few people buy Windows retail, they get it bundled with a new system.

# Hardware vendors are taking their own time to provide support for Vista.(Now a days, more and more hardware vendors are providing support for Linux).

A few months after launch I will be able to purchase any new hardware and be confident it will work with Vista, not so for Linux.

# Vista's backup application is more limited than Windows XP's. (Linux has a rich set of backup options and every one of them is free).

Lies

# No VoIP or other communication applications built in. (Skype, Ekiga... the list goes on in Linux).

Because Vista is an OS, not an OS + kitchen sink. If Microsoft bundled every single app you'd be accusing them of abusing their monopoly power

# Lacks intelligence and forces users to approve the use of many native applications, such as a task scheduler or disk defragmenter. (Linux is flexible to a fault).

Nonsense

# Buried controls - requiring a half a dozen mouse clicks. (Some window managers in Linux also have this problem but then here too, you have a variety of choice to suit your tastes).

Used KDE lately? Total mess of options. How about Gnome, too far at the other extreme.

# Installation can take hours, upgrades even more. (Barring upgrades, installation of Linux will take atmost 45 minutes. Upgrades will take a little longer).

Lies

# Little information support for Hybrid hard drives.

There are technical documents all over the Internet dipshit

# 50 Million lines of code - equates to countless undiscovered bugs. (True, true... It is high time you switch to Linux).

How many lines of code in the Linux kernel + all ancillary utilities and apps?

# New volume-licensing technology limits installations or requires dedicated key-management servers to keep systems activated. (Linux users do not have this headache I believe).

Covered this before

# Promises have remained just that - mere promises. A case to the point being WinFS, Virtual folders and so on. - (Clever marketing my friend, to keep you interested in their product).

How many years has it been 'the year of desktop Linux'? Maybe 2007 eh.

# Does not have support for IPX, Gopher, WebDAV, NetDDE and AppleTalk.

Lies.

(Linux has better support for many protocols which Windows do not support).
# Wordpad's ability to open .doc files have been removed. (Now that is what I call extinguishing with style. OpenOffice.org which is bundled with most Linux distributions can open, read and write DOC files).

There is a .doc viewer freely available from Microsoft. If you want to edit .doc files then clearly MS wants you to buy Word. As many OEM's include it this is not much of an issue.