Re: [News] 25 Reasons to Moves to Linux (CRN Article with Annotation)

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:05:12 +0000
<33361777.JcPiNaTVLR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> 25 Shortcomings of Microsoft Vista OS - A good reason to choose GNU/Linux

> | # Your machine better have a truck load of Memory - somewhere around 2 GB.
> | (Linux works flawlessly with just 128 MB... even less).

Pedant Point: Linux + X + Gnome or Linux + X + KDE
work very well in 128 MB, but Linux + bash can run
in as little as 4-8 MB (if one provides swap space on
secondary storage).  Admittedly, that's a slightly unusual
configuration, especially on modern PCs, but I do have
a 4MB 386 mobo with SIP pin slots for additional memory
sitting in my closet.  I'll be lucky if I ever expand it
to 8 MB -- and probably never will at this point, as there
are far simpler solutions.

> | [...]
> |
> | # No must have reasons to buy Vista. (The fact that Linux is Free is reason
> | enough to opt for it)

I'm not sure if there's a must have reason to buy a
computer at this point, but Halo 3 is reputed to run only
on Vista; if one's gotta have this game, one might have
to choose Vista or XBox 360.  Personally, I can probably
do without. :-)

> | [...]
> |
> | # Installation can take hours, upgrades even more. (Barring upgrades,
> | installation of Linux will take atmost 45 minutes. Upgrades will take a
> | little longer).

Linux installs vary depending on disk space and network
throughtput but I've heard as little as 20 minutes.
(Admittedly, Gentoo isn't among these, since one has to
build the system as opposed to merely copying.)

> `----
>
> http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/12/25-shortcomings-of-microsoft-vista-os.html
>
> All in all, it makes a very compelling case.

Indeed, though the points verge on the skeletal.  Of course
if one were to expand every one of them to a paragraph
one might use up too many column-inches anyway. :-)

But one has to wonder when the retail price of Vista
($300) gets close to the retail price of the cheaper Dells;
a C521 with AMD 3400+, 512MB, 80 GB, and no monitor
can be had for $359 -- and yes, this one's Vista-capable,
for some variant of Vista.  Somebody's making money, and
I doubt it's Dell.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #992398129:
void f(unsigned u) { if(u < 0) ... }