Re: [News] [SOT] PC 'Maintenance' Stifles Innovation; UNIX Improvements with Open Source

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> IT maintenance burden stifles innovation
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Keeping systems up and running is holding back European IT managers
> | from contributing to business improvement as much as they could.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/19/it_stifile_innovation/
>
> I suppose we all know what software requires reboots, reinstallation
> (wipe), cleaning up of infections, tidying up Registries, protective
> software, defragging, FAT recoveries, care for performance and upgrades...

Yes but saying that you would be surprised how many users of Linux I have to
tell off (in forums and chat) because they have a problem and go straight
for the reinstall approach of the whole system.

The distros install/uninstall for problems apps are generally very good
these days, even if they do have to go commando, oops I mean, on the
command line, apt-get and rpm are both really easy to follow if all you
want to do in uninstall or install something.

I try over and over to tell people that you only need install Linux once
unless
        a] you need to replace the system hard drive
        b] move to another pewter
        c] Change distro or major upgrade.

Absolutely everything else can be repaired or put right from inside Linux.

I had that IT man not so long ago, I might have mentioned in here before,
who did that on a saturday morning believing that he could solve a growing
bad sectors problem on the system drive with a reinstall. He only got me in
because he couldn't manage to pull back his user stuff from the backups.
That was only a problem of him not having the right driver for a dat drive
loaded. But a detailed check of his hard drive showed that he was on to a
loser anyway. When linux drive tools doesn't like the drive then you never
attempt to repair it, you get what you need off it then sling it out, you
will not get better tools than you get on your Linux.

I've never seen him in a bad mood before but he was getting very red and
flustered while I lectured and told him off for his poor approach to the
symptoms that he had. Some people just can't take a telling off he hasn't
spoken to me since.