Re: [News] IBM on the Significant Growth of Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> The big shame about that list really is how low Ruby is. Ruby as a
>> starter or scripting language is very easy for new users to learn. It
>> would be nice to see it used as an Open Office and Star Office scripting
>> tool.
>
> I think that Ruby (on Rails at least) lacks marketing, or even broad
> 'fanboyism'. I first stumbled upon it back in 2003 when I wanted to
> convert E-mails to open form/ats such as X/HTML. Ruby on Rails is very new
> and it could probably replace PHP(/MySQL) if only more people knew about
> it. Someone whom I met at a FSFE meeting last year raved about how it
> given excellent abstraction to storage (database). The video demo (I
> believe there's just one that takes people's breath away) proves all of
> this. I currently rely on one Internet service which is Open Source and
> implemented in Rails and it's rock-steady yet simplistic.

I did try a project in RubyRails, it is extraordinarily easy to work with,
the amount of html work is minimal (I don't like the html side of web
development), it has some oddities that take time to learn. Such as the use
of language in naming conventions. It is actually like the naming
conventions that many database writers use but probably didn't think of as
a convension. Such as database 'people' having records of 'person'. Sheep
is a tricky one though.

I must say that the rails book is very good, it is one of those rare
tutorials where the examples actually work.