Re: [News] Ghost in the Machine and His Views on Linux...

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:46:49 +0000
<1553480.E4tHuge842@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Ghost in the machine
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "Windows is like living in the city. Everything you need is
> | readily available, but there is a lot of crime. Linux is like
> | living on the farm -- you grow your own food, there is just
> | more labor involved, but you tend to have a better view of
> | what is going on and you are more secure," Mr. Northcutt
> | said.
> `----
>
> http://www.sedaliademocrat.com/294078745341997.htm

Oh good grief.  :-)  Well, that's what I get for picking
this moniker, I guess.

For the record, I'm not Mr. Northcutt, though more power to
him; his head's in the right place.  Of course he forgot
to mention the fact that the "city", as he puts it, is
more like a shanty town with plenty of termites in the
immediate area (and vendors hawking anti-termite spackle,
treated lumber, and door and window locks for their houses).

But

    "A lot of people don't realize that the backbone of
    the Internet is Unix based," Mr. Northcutt said.

indicates he's got a clue. :-)  Of course the
specifications do not require Unix (or Linux); Windows
could easily implement the relevant RFCs, were it
reliable enough (and Windows does implement a few of them,
presumably for small business use e.g., Exchange).

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false;  return h;}