Re: Microsoft's Shiils in Digg.com

__/ [ yttrx ] on Monday 18 December 2006 14:27 \__

>> I have been noticing some systematic modding down of all my comments by:
>>
>> http://digg.com/users/rodtrent/naio21
>>
>> I also noticed submissions that are favourable to Microsoft technology (as
>> well as modding down of my comments) coming from:
>>
>> http://digg.com/users/rodtrent/dugg
>>
>> Guess what? He's a Microsoft MVP.
>>
>> True. Microsoft may still be using its shills (or 'compensated'
>> associates) to hide facts which reveal how vulnerable it is. If it
>> involves community sites, then so be it. They should at least be
>> disclosure.
>>

> Its worse than that.  It's very much a fact that the marketing departments
> of many dozens of companies include shills that post and mod on sites like
> digg and slashdot...and that Microsoft is only one of many.
>
> I know that this is a fact because I know people who do it.  Now, I have
> no desire to cost anyone their jobs, despite who they work for (shit man,
> I used to work for a major telecom--and there are no bigger thieves on
> this planet than major telecoms)...but I'll also point out that shilling
> is rarely if ever in their job description as such, and furthermore its
> rarely if ever even more than a minority of their duties.
>
> Its generally just safe to assume that if there's any website that has
> discussion forums which have any meaningful traffic, they're tainted by
> shills from at least a few companies, probably many.  And don't forget
> that Microsoft isn't the only one.

Very true. I am aware of many people who systematically link to their Web
sites, i.e. use Digg as a blog aggregator. In general, the quality in Digg
is being degraded. And speaking of the shill, have a look and this brand-new
finding from a friend of mine:

http://3monkeyweb.com/3monkeys/2006/12/18/observations-on-diggs-quality/

Only 1 in 100 submission of that Microsoft MVP actually reaches the front
page. he submits a lot pro-Microsoft material. To those who claim I am
unpopular on social bookmarking sites, I am actually ranked 9th in Netscape,
among ~100,000 users. The trolls prefer to deny the facts and nitpick.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall Linux to figure out the magic