Re: Linux file/backup server with Mac clients

  • Subject: Re: Linux file/backup server with Mac clients
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:42:45 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Sandman ] on Sunday 17 December 2006 15:23 \__

> In article <20061217142305.06584ddd@ed-desktop>, ed <ed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 14:50:30 +0100
>> Sandman <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > Anyone got any experience with this? A headless Linux machine with
>> > 4x500GB disks in RAID1+0 that runs a SFTP/FTP server for (legal) file
>> > sharing and provides network backup to mainly Mac clients, preferably
>> > through Appletalk (netatalk) for maximum transparency.
>> >
>> > Gigabit network. Any idea what distro I should use - I'm a Debian
>> > guy, but maybe there's something better for this purpose?
>>
>> the distro does not matter one iota. you have chosen something that has
>> good package management though. so you're ok in that respect.
>>
>> what i suggest is using rsync. sync the backup to the live version,
>> then use the backup box to compress and archive the data away.
>
> I would prefer not to have the backup compressed for easy searching in
> it.

Just tar it. You can grep it then. Here's what I personally chose to do
periodically (cron job):

mkdir /media/SEA_DISK/Home/`date +%Y-%m-%d`

tar -cf - /home/roy/Main/BU|split -b 1000m - /media/SEA_DISK/Home/`date
+%Y-%m-%d`/Baine-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar.

# To reassemble:

cat backup.tar.*|tar -xf -

This keeps a stack (in case of 'contamination') and since the filesystems
differ (ReiserFS versus NTFS), tar ensures that merely everything is
preserves, including case sensitivity. As long as you tar and untar on the
native filesystem, then all you keep is a blob that's stored away. File
timestamps and FAT's are another matter, for which there's dd. Never tried
that.

> Plus, I've never used rsync before, and I don't know if it preserves
> special files and data forks in Mac filesystems, even though I know
> that there is a special OSX version of Rsync...

Rsync is very fast and it will be as lossy (or unlossy) as SFTP. Still, it
might be better to 'blobify' your data (not necessarily compresing it)
before it moves onto a different filesystem. I used to underestimate rsync,
but I now used it to ghost my hard-drives every night. Don't make the
mistake that I made and rely on scp. You can have confidence in rsync, but
in due course it leads to cruft (files don't get deleted).

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"