Re: Linux file/backup server with Mac clients

  • Subject: Re: Linux file/backup server with Mac clients
  • From: Sandman <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 17:38:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In article <1454072.KctILbvL0z@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

> >> the distro does not matter one iota. you have chosen something that has
> >> good package management though. so you're ok in that respect.
> >>
> >> what i suggest is using rsync. sync the backup to the live version,
> >> then use the backup box to compress and archive the data away.
> >
> > I would prefer not to have the backup compressed for easy searching in
> > it.
>
> Just tar it. You can grep it then. Here's what I personally chose to do
> periodically (cron job):
>
> mkdir /media/SEA_DISK/Home/`date +%Y-%m-%d`
>
> tar -cf - /home/roy/Main/BU|split -b 1000m - /media/SEA_DISK/Home/`date
> +%Y-%m-%d`/Baine-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar.
>
> # To reassemble:
>
> cat backup.tar.*|tar -xf -
>
> This keeps a stack (in case of 'contamination') and since the filesystems
> differ (ReiserFS versus NTFS), tar ensures that merely everything is
> preserves, including case sensitivity. As long as you tar and untar on the
> native filesystem, then all you keep is a blob that's stored away. File
> timestamps and FAT's are another matter, for which there's dd. Never tried
> that.

Right, but "tar" in OSX preservers resource forks in HFS, and I don't
know if that messes up cat in linux... Any experience with that?

> > Plus, I've never used rsync before, and I don't know if it preserves
> > special files and data forks in Mac filesystems, even though I know
> > that there is a special OSX version of Rsync...
>
> Rsync is very fast and it will be as lossy (or unlossy) as SFTP. Still, it
> might be better to 'blobify' your data (not necessarily compresing it)
> before it moves onto a different filesystem. I used to underestimate rsync,
> but I now used it to ghost my hard-drives every night. Don't make the
> mistake that I made and rely on scp. You can have confidence in rsync, but
> in due course it leads to cruft (files don't get deleted).

Can't you have rsync delete files?

I use "cp -u -a /source/ /backup/" as backup for a linux system right
now and it works fine. It doesn't backup removals, of course, which I
though rsync would. Why else call it "sync"?

--
Sandman[.net]