Re: Linux file/backup server with Mac clients

begin  risky.vbs
	<14227425.BpzYsCdoOj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> __/ [ Roy Culley ] on Sunday 17 December 2006 16:15 \__
>
>> begin  risky.vbs
>> <1454072.KctILbvL0z@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>>
>>> You can have confidence in rsync, but in due course it leads to
>>> cruft (files don't get deleted).
>>
>> They do if you use --delete. rsync is excellent. I use it daily to
>> backup the partitions on my laptop. I give it the --delete switch once
>> per week to remove stuff. --exclude is also useful for anything you
>> don't want included.
>
> Excellent, THANKS! I'll modify the jobs. Up until now I was rm
> -rf'ing once a week (takes about 25 minutes) and then scp'ing or
> rsync'ing (duration is nightly).

And, since rsync can use ssh, then with ssh-agent you can run it all
from cron and forget about it. This is just so much the *nix
way. Small, yet powerfull utilities, combining to make life so easy.
Something those weaned on Windows and know nothing else can't even
dream about poor things.

--
I've asked time and time again for people to prove that I primarily spout
FUD. - Funkenbusch (COLA's comedian), Sat, 2 Dec 2006