Re: PS3 Linux, nonstarter

  • Subject: Re: PS3 Linux, nonstarter
  • From: B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 23:07:43 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Saturday 16 December 2006 22:08 cc wrote:

> What am I jealous of exactly? Where did that quote come from, a Linux
> zine? John posting a like to 45 playstations using Linux is not going
> to impress me. That's a miniscule amount of their sales. You guys are
> making a mountain out of a molehill, that's all I'm pointing out.

Sure, and I appreciate that.

However, I for one find this PS3+Linux quite fascinating, and I'll be
watching with interest whether or not PS3 purchasers avail themselves of
the Linux part of it.
I find it quite impressive that Linux was "there and waiting" when the first
few PS3 consoles became available, and I look forward to reading just how
easy (or otherwise) "ordinary" people find it to avail themselves of YDL on
the PS3; also, to see just what the performance is really like.
I still have a theory that 90% of today's PC users would be quite happy with
the performance of a 386 with a *stable* OS rather than Windows 3.x for
anything other than games etc, which I presume the PS3 will be quite good
at.