Re: [News] Ubuntu Linux 'Ultimate Edition' - 4 DVD's

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:07:02 +0000
<3987019.EIA5ghHhIs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Create DVDs with All of Ubuntu's Packages
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The script promises to generate 4 DVD images (.iso files), and might
> | require as much as 30 GB of hard disk space.
> `----
>
> http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/12/11/create-dvds-with-all-of-ubuntus-packages/
>
> Crazier than a browser with 100 extensions. Can you imagine the size of the
> GNOME/KDE menus?

Maybe, but it's a nice problem to have. :-)
(If one has the disk space.)

For its part the Vista "installer" is apparently going to
be (or is) a preconfigured version of Vista that simply
gets decompressed then onto one's PC more or less verbatim.
This new installatin method is apparently called a
'.WIM' file.  The image is file-based (similar to tar)
rather than sector-based (dd).

http://digg.com/tech_news/Inside_Vista_s_new_image_based_install_3
http://apcmag.com/node/3834

Whoopee.  Yet Another File Format.  Oh, the enthusiasm.  I wonder
if they'll patent it.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);