[News] Installing Anti-virus Can Have Opposite Effect -- Windows Hijacked

Computer worm attacks business PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Big Yellow enters machines through a security hole in the corporate
| version of Symantec's antivirus software. Once infected with the
| worm's "bot" program, a hacker can use it as a way to connect
| with other computers for malicious attacks.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061216/ap_on_hi_te/computer_worm

http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-6144282.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Exploits already in the wild, compromising boxes.

While there was also some bug in Symantec's storage product for UNIX (jointly
with IBM?), I don't believe it could lead to privilege escalation. The
underlying O/S seems insecure and exploitable by design. Feel free to
correct this analysis...