[News] Want Vista? Forget About SQL Server (CNN News)

Vista flaw could haunt Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft wants a bigger piece of Oracle and IBM's database business, but
| an oversight in its new operating system could cost the company plenty.

This is good news to Open Source database and GNU/Linux. It will hinder the
adoption of Vista and encourage migration of databases (reasonable choices
for a stack), if not O/S as well. Business seek to escape
database-associated lockins as awareness is improved due to harsh

Life with Vista - Is this dogfood really for the dogs?

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm an absolute freak when it comes to .NET technologies. My blog
| is called the ".NET Addict", so it should be pretty obvious that
| the day Vista's RTM build came out, I downloaded it and installed
| it on every Vista-capable machine I had in my possession. I've
| been using Vista for several weeks now and I've come to a couple
| of conclusions that I think might startle and shock some of you...
| # Vista is not ready for primetime. By that I mean that Vista still
| feels like a beta. That's right. It has so many compatibility
| problems with existing applications that running anything other
| than stuff from Microsoft that specifically says "for Vista Build
| XXXX" makes me feel like I'm taking my life into my own hands.
|    1. Games - don't even get me started...
|    2. Visual Studio 2005 - I can't find the words to express the irony...
|    3. Virtual PC - worthless. Don't even attempt on Vista.

Visual Studio vs. Vista: What's going on here?

,----[ Quote ]
|     * Visual Basic 6.0 (supported)
|     * Visual Studio .NET 2002 (not supported)
|     * Visual Studio .NET 2003 (not supported)
|     * Visual Studio 2005 (supported, but will have "compatibility issues"
|       until some nebulous set of post-SP1 fixes ships)

Windows Vista: Work In Progress

,----[ Quote ]
| Already, the list of non-compatible applications or hardware is fairly
| long. Microsoft's own Vista updates add to the number of third-partyp
| atches on which businesses will have to conduct compatibility testing.
| The burden is yet another reason to see slow business deployments in
| the early months following Windows Vista's release.

SQL Server 2005 SP1 won't work with Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| It's no secret that a number of applications, including
| several of Microsoft's own, are not going to work properly
| with Windows Vista when the product ships.

Vista Breaks Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| The big secret at Redmond is that existing applications and new
| products will not work with Vista.
| Microsoft really doesn't want you to know this, but many of your
| existing applications won't work with Vista. In fact, some brand
| new products won't work with Vista.

Lack of Internal Talks at Microsoft, Google

,----[ Quote ]