Re: [News] Potential Linux Box Wiith (sic) Games @ $158

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> The Wii (just the console) only costs $158 to make
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Japanese economic site, Toyokeizai, broke down the Wii
>| components by price and discovered that it apparently,
>| only costs Nintendo about $158 to make a Wii.
> `----
>
> http://www.younewb.com/index.php/2006/12/14/the-wii-just-the
> -console-only-costs-158-to-make/

Those are manufacturing costs.  When one factors in recouping
engineering design, test and development costs, mandatory parts
inventory storage to a number of years past last unit produced
(5, 10 years?), advertising and distributor shipment costs drive
that up to $196 US (100 GBP).  Once those costs have been
amortised (paid back) after a couple years, unit costs should
drop down closer to production costs.

This is a good reason why not to buy the very first model out
the door.  Sometimes, product may have bugs or engineering
weaknesses that are corrected downstream.  I would IMHO, wait
about a year.  By then games will stabilise and one should have
a better choice and cheaper pricing.  (Games must amortise
development costs also.)

> Related:
>
> Linux Live CD is in development for the Wii
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| WiiLi will be based off MandrivaONE, you can expect it to
>| look like this...
> `----
>
> http://www.nwiizone.com/nintendo-wii/nwii/linux-live-cd-is-i
> n-development-for-the-wii/

That should make the Wii one nice little Linux machine.

--
HPT