Re: Bill Gates Questioned on SCO Connections

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Talking Linux IP with Bill Gates
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Niall:
> |     OK. Two questions.
> |        1. Was Microsoft ever directly involved with the SCO Group
> | in their lawsuit against IBM, either through BayStar Capital or others?
> |        2. Why is Microsoft recently choosing to go after supposed
> | patent violations with various operating system companies?
> | Bill:
> |     I don't know BayStar.
> | Niall:
> |     It's an investment company. One of their executives testified
> | Microsoft invested $50 million to offset SCO's costs in the lawsuit.
> | Bill:
> |     When?
> `----
> http://www.niallkennedy.com/blog/archives/2006/12/microsoft-linux-patents.html
>
> Rex, should Bill Gates know BayStar? Or does he play dumb?

Keep in mind that lying to the press is not a crime, if it was, every
politician in congress would be in federal prison for life under the
habitual offender statute.

Appearantly Paul Allen was the principle investor in Bay Star
http://news.com.com/5208-7344-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=3214&messageID=22387&start=-1
Ironically, Paul Allen has been distancing himself from Microsoft over
the last several years, since the beginning of the Antitrust Hearing.

One needs to track a number of different elements, but the money is
more like a maze.
Lots of names and companies controlling voting power for lots of stock.

Look at some of the other key holders of both Microsoft and SCO
Microsoft:
Company											Shares
CAPITAL RESEARCH AND MANAGEMENT COMPANY		430,236,500
Barclays Global Investors UK Holdings Ltd				408,084,601
STATE STREET CORPORATION					258,843,024
VANGUARD GROUP, INC. (THE)					224,375,713
AXA										  143,855,395
FMR CORPORATION (FIDELITY MANAGEMENT & RESEARCH CORP)	138,314,615
WELLINGTON MANAGEMENT COMPANY, LLP		124,900,792
UBS GLOBAL ASSET MANAGEMENT				117,397,434
NORTHERN TRUST CORPORATION				  110,862,236

SCO
Glenhill Advisors LLC	1,751,446
Jet Capital Investors, L.P.	1,442,789
CHESAPEAKE PARTNERS MANAGEMENT CO INC./MD	1,410,229
S&E PARTNERS LP	1,403,500
UBS AG	931,600
ETON PARK CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP	880,329
Barclays Global Investors UK Holdings Ltd	650,356
ROYCE & ASSOCIATES, INC.	493,100
CAPITAL GUARDIAN TRUST COMPANY	477,700
TRELLUS MANAGEMENT COMPANY, LLC	441,985

I seem to recall that there was more overlap just a few months ago.

I did notice that Novell has a number of common institutional
investors.
Investor										Shares
OPPENHEIMER FUNDS, INC.						33,159,671
COLUMBIA WANGER ASSET MANAGEMENT, L.P.		23,732,600
OZ MANAGEMENT, L.L.C.						13,060,100
CAPITAL RESEARCH AND MANAGEMENT COMPANY	11,470,400
VANGUARD GROUP, INC. (THE)					11,268,433
HOTCHKIS & WILEY CAPITAL MANAGEMENT, LLC	11,027,100
Barclays Global Investors UK Holdings Ltd			10,504,581
PENN Capital Management Co., Inc.				8,271,487
STATE STREET CORPORATION				8,138,258
TUDOR INVESTMENT CORPORATION				7,834,706

Follow the money.