Re: [News] Linux - Not Just Free of Charge

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 14 December 2006 13:08 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 13 December 2006 18:42 \__
>>

> <snip discussion where freedom is confused with state-supported
> monopolies>
>
>>> Again, this is not a "freedom", it is, once again, about imposing
>>> monopolies.
>>>
>>> They are only doing this in order to relieve the public of even more
>>> millions and millions and millions of dollars.  Let's not pretend that
>>> there's anything "nice" going on here, just capitalism.  I like
>>> capitalism, a lot, but abusing the legal system is not my view of how
>>> capitalism should work.
>>
>> It's intersting that you mention this now. I wrote something about it just
>> a few minutes ago (before even reading your message).
>>
>> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/12/14/media-control/
>>
>> The gist: Microsoft threatens capitalism. It corrupted the term/definition
>> and makes it akin to totality. IMHO. This also relates to my other big
>> concern (should even be bigger): the environment. It's all about greed in
>> a world of self-serving corporations. Working together for the betterment
>> of the planet. Ha. Forget about it... it's all about refining the
>> quarterly reports.
>>
>> Speaking of which, Europe lists Apple among the biggest culprits too.
>> Linux I can actually see as benevolent because it discourages waste
>> (hardware upgrades, shrink-wrapped and box software, etc)...
                                          ^^^

I keep finding these 'vocal' typos of mine. Sometimes I wish that I stopped
and proofread, but it comes with a cost. This doesn't make me look all that
bright...

> This is a very interesting point, and for a time, was one of the more
> powerful arguments used by linux proponents, that of being able to reuse
> and rejuvenate (by jove!) older hardware through installation of linux.
>
> This has rather come full circle with the OLPC plan, in that new, modern
> hardware is gaining the linux advantage, but we still have this issue of
> lots of older kit lying around the planet, much of which could be quite
> useful to someone.

Yes, but another point to make is this: have you recently heard about the
UN's complaints (a report) about Africa as the West's grabage dump?
Businesses only care about revenue per spending or RoI, so malware-infected
machines, for example, might be thrown onto other countries where they
cannot be properly used. Have you heard the EULA stories in Africa recently?

In any event, there is a huge scale to this element of waste. The energy
required to produce a PC (think in terms of oil even) is quite astounding.
We don't need that much of the toxins, but hardware manufacturers are sure
greedy. They love waste. We thrive in it... until Belgium and Holland yell
out because the water level changes. I heard that Tony Blair has taken
distance from Bush when it comes to these matters. I certainly hope it's
true.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired
roy      pts/3                         Thu Dec 14 08:07 - 08:08  (00:00)