Re: [News] Red Hat and Novell Make Progress

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, John Bailo
<jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:15:49 -0800
<doSdnbmqVL6wqB3YnZ2dnUVZ_oHinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> | tapped Novell for identity and desktop management across its network,
>
> I still don't know what /identity/ management is.

I'm not sure either but there's a number of variants
floating around.  The most modern one is probably JOSSO,
which can be deployed at a corporate level on JBOSS-powered
websites (and probably other J2EE solutions as well).
Other variants include classical NIS/NIS+ (coloquially
called "Yellow Pages" but its official name is "Network
Information Services"), and Microsoft's Passport system,
which has since changed names.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."