Re: Refurbished Dell Linux Boxes (2.4 GHz) for $159

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 12 December 2006 17:25 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:53:27 +0000
> <2008412.X9yrRebjtZ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> __/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Tuesday 12 December 2006 12:46 \__

>> http://www.hcditrading.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/2375435/vpcsid/0/

>>> I now have a 2.93 GHz Celeron with 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9500 with 256
>>> MB RAM, SoundBlaster Audigy card for Windows XP gaming.  Works like a
>>> charm.    :-)
>>>
>>> Now it boots up smoothly and quickly.
>>>
>>> My 1.7 GHz Celeron with 512 MB RAM, nVidia MX440 video with 128 MB RAM,
>>> SoundBlaster 16 card took a while for disk to grind before completing
>>> boot and login.  SuSE 10.1 Open and Debian was quicker.
>>>
>>> It goes to show the differences in comparison.  Symantec Antivirus and
>>> personal firewall added to the overhead.
>>>
>>> Should I give a benchmark comparison between XP and Debian 2.6 kernel
>>> on those systems, or would I be violating an EULA with the benchmark?
>>>  :-)
>>
>> Take your box to Germany then.
>>
>> Just don't bring back any Cuban cigars.
>>

> Why would there be Cuban cigars in Germany...?
>
> Oh, never mind, my brain hurts too much.

*LOL* I think you should see a doctor. It seems like a pattern.

> :-)
>
> In any event, I have a 1.4 GHz Athlon with 512 MB RAM
> and an old nVidia card (I don't know what variety offhand
> but it's RV250-based).  The sound system could be better
> and I and nVidia have differences, but overall it works
> very well.

I can attest to the same experience. With Linux I get a desktop that's ahead
of our times (assuming Windows as a status quo) and it specked as though we
live 4-5 years behind. Some strong machines are simply being build for
unnecessarily greedy code.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymous posters are more frequently disregarded
roy      pts/4                         Tue Dec 12 13:37 - 13:44  (00:07)