Re: [News] How Eclipse Defeats Visual Studio

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:38:28 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> 100 features Microsoft should steal from the Eclipse IDE
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Everyone knows that Microsoft isn't shy about stealing ideas from
>| other successful products, so please forward a link to this post
>| to the Visual Studio team. I would like these Eclipse featuresi
>| ncluded in their IDE as soon as possible.
> `----
>
> http://clintonforbes.blogspot.com/2006/12/100-features-microsoft-should-steal.html

As usual, those that Criticize Microsoft products typically don't even
realize that their criticisms aren't valid because their assumptions aren't
valid.  For example:

> Feature 001 - Maximize button on internal windows

He's complaing that he can't easily make all the side panels go away, but
is apparently unfamiliar with the full screen mode, which expands the code
view to fill the whole window with a mouse click of keyboard command.

> Feature 010 - Compare Local History.

Here he's complaining that Visual Studio won't save backup copies of your
code when you save.  While this is true, there are a number of tools
available to provide this functionality if you want it.  Visual Slickedit
tools for Visual Studio, for instance, adds this feature.

> Feature 011 - Next Error / Previous Error shortcuts

Here he's complaining that Visual Studio doesn't have keyboard shortcuts
for Next and Previous Error.  Unfortunately for his argument, this isn't
true.  VS has had this as far back as Version 6 or 5 IIRC.

Next error is, by default (though this can be remapped) Ctrl-Shift-F12.
Previous Error is not mapped by default, but you can assign it to whatever
you want.

and so on....

Typically, it's just people unfamiliar with the way things are...