Re: [News] Microvell is Heading Down

news:5344516.Pn7nduv0Oc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Novell Linux push fails to cover NetWare losses
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Waltham, Massachusetts-based software vendor's fourth quarter
> | revenue was about $6m shy of analysts' estimates, which was never
> | likely to keep Wall Street happy. Announcing that the company
> | expected revenue to be "flat or near flat" at $945m to $975m in
> | 2007 was the double-whammy that pushed the company's share price
> | down to $5.70, its lowest price since March 2005.
> `----
>
> http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=326EA359-CD54-4217-BF71-EDD6C134293F
>
> * You know that companies are heading down when they join forced with
> Microsoft.
>
> * You know that companies evolve when they choose GNU/Linux (e.g. Google).

You can read the tea leaves however you wish.  Blaming Novell's lackluster
performance on public dislike for the Microsoft alliance is incorrect.  Red
Hat had a poor quarter as well and the only conclusion to draw is that Linux
is a frail reed for trying to catch one's fall.  Linux servers have about a
third as much usage as Windows servers, but Linux revenues for software
and/or support, however you like it, lag much farther behind Microsoft's
server software revenues.  The Linux horse does not appear to be suited for
pulling the wagon of commerce.

Similarly, suggesting that GNU/Linux has anything to do with Google's
success is pure chutzpah with no supportive reasoning.  Google deftly
avoided OS software costs in constructing server arrays to run their search
engine, but nothing in Linux was contributing to their technology.