Re: [News] Why GNU/Linux Gets It Right

begin  risky.vbs
	<45977afc$0$18621$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	"Guy Fawkes" <spare_the_rod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
>> Ten things Linux distros get right (that MS doesn't)
>>
>> ,----[ Gist ]
>> | So what are the differences?
>> |
>> |    1. A useful terminal.
>> |    2. All-in-one application sources.
>> |    3. Cut-and-paste, and focus handling.
>> |    4. Frequent, painless patches and new stuff, all the time.
>> |    5. Multi-desktops.
>> |    6. Good, free tools. Like vim (or emacs).
>> |    7. No reboots.
>> |    8. Open formats and protocols.
>> |    9. No need for paranoia.
>> |   10. Respect.
>> `----
>>
> I would add to this:
>
> 11. Forced upgrades of both hardware and software
> 12. Restrictions of use through licensing
> 13. Large costs of OS and Office software
> 14. Incessant misuse of monopoly to enter other markets by adding features
> to Windows
> 15. Minor innovation between versions
> 16. Content maffia appeasement by stuffing the OS chockfull of DRM

I think you forgot a 'No' in front of all those. :-)

Things MS SW has that Linux doesn't:

1. Easy installation of SW on your computer by no action on users
   part.
2. Frequent memory leak / corruption cleanup via automatic reboots.
3. Frequent reinstallation of OS due to bitrot.

--
Security is one of those funny things.  You can talk about being "more"
secure, but there's no such thing.  A vulnerability is a vulnerability, and