Re: [News] Open Source Introduced in Malaysia, Gains More Acceptance

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 31 December 2006 00:39 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Snit ] on Friday 29 December 2006 18:32 \__
>>
>>> "John A. Bailo" <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> stated in post
>>> ebqdnRDFVOGvwQjYnZ2dnUVZ_rXinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on 12/29/06 11:19 AM:

>>> No.  Nor is it likely to ever be.
>>>
>>> Why do you ask?
>>
>> Just look at the types who develop and embrace Quicken, Forbes, The
>> Street, Financial Times, etc. They perceive technology as stocks and their
>> accompanying financial value (I see this every day as I browse through
>> many dozens of financial articles). They could not care less about
>> innovation, technical merits (including efficiency), fare/balanced
>> market... in fact, this whole thing reminds me of people who, much like a
>> certain president, talk about "The Google" and "The Internets".
>>
>> Perspective matters. A lot.
>>

> They only care about what things are worth, and whether money can be
> made.  I read the FT on a regular basis (important for my job, of
> course);  itÂs refreshing because of the near total absence of politics,
> itÂs just unadulterated capitalism.  They do care very much about
> markets, but fairness is not a concept which has any relevance in
> capitalism.  Of course, it has all kinds of meaning in politics, and
> stock-markets cannot operate outside of some political structures, so
> regulation of some kind is usually not so far away.

Ballmer comes from a family of investors (his father at least). To them, it's
just about getting money, no matter how. Compare him to Jonathan Schwartz,
for example.

Ballmer -- it's all about the money; ethics are secondary and are a
nice-to-have.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"
  5:20am  up 73 days 15:34,  6 users,  load average: 1.60, 1.45, 0.95